10 ways to distinguish a professional photographer from a beginner.
Many parents ask me, what is the difference between a cheap newborn photo and an expensive one? I have immense respect for colleagues who are at the beginning of the path (we all have been there), so in this post I will use the term novice photographer.
Your baby is about to appear, and the time in which you can take a picture is very, very small (more about this here). The cost of an error can be high, because if you don’t like the result, there may simply not be time for a shift change. After all, what does it matter how much the photographer cost, If the result does not please you?
Ask what safety precautions does your photographer take for studio and props sanitizing, posing, studio props and if he has been specifically trained for newborn safety (read more here)
10 must haves of a beginner newborn photographers:
1. Face down, bum up. The goal of a professional newborn photographer is to enhance the face beauty of a newborn, find the best angle and position.
2. Something to hold on to (Clutched Fingers). One important criteria for creating successful photographs is to make sure that position of fingers is perfectly set. There should not be any awkward clutched fingers or tied up hat knots. Newborn photographers who take part in photography competitions know that this is one of the most essential criteria which is checked by the judges.
3. Crochet monsters
I really should have put them as number 1. These dinosaurs will never extinct, so just enjoy.
4. Fabric fails
Wrinkled clothes make life harder and photographs less beautiful. In our professional newborn photo studio we take care of fabrics and everything is folded carefully and every newborn prop is taken care of. Maternity dresses and newborn outfits are always ready for our clients.
5. Way too smooth
Some photographers use too much photoshop so the skin looks too smooth and unrealistic. Of course we use photoshop to eliminate some skin redness and bumps. But pro newborn photographer tries to take good pictures from the beginning – arrange the light and look for best angles and positions.
6. Light is extremely important!
I mean Frankenstein-style light, coming from chin side, like in 20s movies.
7. “I’m a f/5,6 girl” said Ana Brandt in one of Creative-live educational videos. Well, in rare cases shooting at 5,6 makes sense, while the majority of the pro newborn photographers prefer to shoot shallow.
By the way, affordable photographers frequently use constant light, exposure exposure to which can be pretty dangerous. Here is the link about light safety for newborn babies.
8. Let’s just order in Amazon! Or AliExpress 🙂
Overall quality of the accessories is very noticeable at the first time. Let’s try to guess cheap and chic 🙂
To be serious, just ask what vendor brands does your newborn photographer prefer. A pro will be happy to brag using 10-20 best brands on the market.
Professional studio photographer always invests in quality fine art … Or Spends a couple of working days to create it himself!
10. Quality and communication.
Would you like to come to the studio and figure out that your photographer prefers dark and Moody and you love light and airy? Oh we have one of this adorable crochet creations randomly jump in your photo shoot? Does the newborn photographer communicate over the delivery and questions timely, or you have to wait nervously week after week?
The pro will guide you through the process from the beginning till the end, he’ll take care of defining your preferences, presenting you over a wonderful newborn experience from the first communication to the shoot and your gorgeous wall art delivery. This unique moment in your life needs to be celebrated and deserves to be a truly enjoyable experience!